House a Home
This picture was taken in our bedroom this past weekend. I felt like I was doing 20 things at once but I was determined to get the bookcase moved into our bedroom before the weekend expired. I moved and dusted the bookcase and started setting things atop. When I stepped back to view my work I couldn't help but smile when I realized how each piece came to be there:
- The bookcase was a graduation present made for me by my father. It was after I had pestered him for months for an old decrepit bookcase that was rotting by the garage. He insisted it wasn't worth saving. He asked me once what I liked about it, and used my description to create a brand new one instead.
- The wood frame was salvaged from barn we took down at my parents (story here).
- My father also made the placard as a wedding present, with the wood from the same barn mentioned above.
- I pulled the pitcher from a trash pit in Montana. I actually forgot to bring it home from my trip and made my sister fly it home later!
- I picked up the candle last week from the clearance table at Anthropologie.
- The ivy is growing rampant in our side yard so I simply potted some of it.
- The lamp was left by Grandpa Wally. (My husband put a dimmer switch on it that I can control from our bed. It's the perfect night light.)